5G Techritory returns for its 6th edition on October 18-19, 2023, once again bringing together the industry’s leading minds to tackle some of 5G’s most pressing topics through panel discussions, workshops, and co-creation events.
The two-day conference will run three stages – Policy & Strategy, Innovation & Technology, and XG – promising an intense and productive experience for speakers and attendees alike.
Note: Participation in 5G Techritory is free of charge, but attendees must register to gain access to the conferencing platform. Registered attendees will also have access to talk recordings after the conference.
To ensure you don’t miss any panels that are relevant to you and your sector, we recommend checking out the agenda and crafting your own schedule. To whet your appetite, here are five panels that may hold significant value for industry professionals, both due to the pertinence of the topics and the expertise of the speakers.
1. 24/7 connectivity for defence forces – how do we provide it?
This discussion aims to chart the course for the future of 24/7 connectivity for defense forces, ensuring their seamless connectivity, access to crucial information, and empowerment in the face of ever-evolving challenges.
Given the modern soldier’s and battlefield’s growing need for uninterrupted connectivity, our panel of experts will delve into the associated challenges and explore the most effective tools or combinations thereof to meet this critical requirement. Our esteemed panelists will engage in a comprehensive examination of various options on the table, including private mobile networks, satellite communication, and Open RAN solutions.
Discover cutting-edge strategies and best practices for delivering dependable and secure connectivity in dynamic defense environments, ultimately enabling effective communication, heightened situational awareness, and mission success.
When & where: October 18, 13:00 (EEST), Innovation & Technology stage
Moderated by Baiba Braze, Ambassador for Special Assignments, MFA
- Ingmārs Pūķis, VP & Member of the Management Board, LMT
- Philippe Agard, Head of Vertical Defense, Nokia
- Mattias Männi, 5G Program Manager, NATO CCD COE
- Jānis Garisons, State Secretary, Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Latvia
2. Safe or sorry? Risk-taking in public sector digitalization projects
Join us for an engaging panel discussion that delves into the advantages and challenges of embracing risk in public sector digitalization projects. Our esteemed panelists will explore the potential benefits of adopting an agile approach to service delivery, one that places user feedback and iterative development at the forefront, departing from traditional, waterfall-style processes. Additionally, we’ll dive into the complexities of tender processes and their potential to either hinder or catalyze innovation within the public sector.
Do not miss this dynamic conversation that aims to unravel the delicate equilibrium between risk management and the pursuit of innovative digital solutions. Together, we’ll pave the way for more effective and user-centric public sector initiatives.
When & where: October 18, 16:00 (EEST), Policy & Strategy stage
Moderated by Viesturs Celmiņš, VEFRESH
- Iveta Strupkāja, Investment and Development Agency of Latvia (LIAA)
- Kaili Tamm, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications of Estonia
- Uldis Tatarčuks, TET
- Minna Säpyskä-Aalto, The Baltic Institute of Finland / City of Tampere
3. Special session on ITU Focus Group on metaverse – “Shaping a European vision for openness, safety and respect”
This special session will provide an open platform for the Europe region to discuss their unique metaverse challenges and opportunities in order to ensure that the metaverse is developed for the benefit of all.
More specifically, in this panel discussion, hosted by the ITU, experts and stakeholders from across Europe will come together to explore the potential of the metaverse and discuss crucial aspects related to openness, safety, and respect within this emerging immersive world. Delve into topics such as user rights, privacy, ethical considerations, and standards for building a metaverse that upholds European values.
Note that there will also be a co-creation workshop on metaverse vision for Europe on October 19 – more information here.
When & where: October 18, 11:00 (EEST), Policy & Strategy stage
Moderated by Per Fröjdh, Vice-Chairman / VP International Standards, ITU Focus Group on Metaverse / Ericsson
- Rolf Werner, Head of Europe, Nokia
- Walter Greenleaf, Neuroscientist, Stanford University, Stanford Virtual Human Interaction Lab
- Pilar Orero, Professor, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
- Christina Yan Zhang, CEO and Founder, The Metaverse Institute
- Cristina Martinez, Vice-chair ITU FG on MV – Deputy Head of Unit, European Commission
This panel is supported by the Investment and Development Agency of Latvia and the European Regional Development Fund project 18.104.22.168. “Atbalsts tehnoloģiju pārneses sistēmas pilnveidošanai” (Nr. 22.214.171.124/16/I/001). #missionLatvia
4. Building the future: Digital innovation in greenfield projects
Greenfield railway projects provide a unique canvas for innovation, where digitalization can be integrated from the outset. This discussion, hosted by Rail Baltica, will delve into the strategies, advantages, and transformative potential of leveraging digital technologies during the construction phase of railway projects.
Our panel of experts will examine how greenfield projects offer a prime opportunity to utilize the advantage of going digital, enhancing efficiency, safety, and sustainability. We will explore the potential financial advantages and synergies, safety enhancements, and operational efficiencies that could be achieved when digital solutions are integrated at the inception of railway construction.
Additionally, the panel will delve into the question of what can be adopted during the early phases of a project that cannot be easily retrofitted into existing railway infrastructure.
When & where: October 18, 17:00 (EEST), Innovation & Technology stage
Moderated by: Dean Bubley, Director, Disruptive Analysis
- Andy Billington, Innovation and Digital Architecture Senior Expert, RB Rail AS
- Nadia Babych, Chief Specialist of the Mobile Broadband Development Department, Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine
5. Open RAN – is it actually a 6G product?
On the morning of the second day, we invite you to attend an insightful session where we’ll navigate the current discourse surrounding the adoption of Open RAN technology and its intriguing connection to the forthcoming era of 6G.
Within the industry, a spirited debate continues to unfold, with stakeholders expressing reservations about hastening the implementation of Open RAN. Some argue that patiently awaiting 6G may yield a more seamless integration. Our esteemed panelists will engage in a critical examination of these contrasting viewpoints, probing their validity and contemplating the potential consequences for the industry at large.
We will also delve into real-world case studies that challenge this perspective, spotlighting successful deployments of OpenRAN within existing networks.
When & where: October 19, 10:00 (EEST), Innovation & Technology stage
Moderated by Will Townsend, VP & Principal Analyst/Contributor, Moor Insights & Strategy/Forbes
- Timo Jokiaho, Telco Technologist, Red Hat
- Alexander Pabst, Vice President of Market Segment of Wireless Communications, Rohde & Schwarz GmbH & Co
- Slawomir Pietrzyk, CEO and Founder, IS-Wireless
- David Taylor, Head of International Strategy – Telecoms Diversification & Future Telecoms, UK Department for Science, Innovation, and Technology
And so much more…
With two days of engaging discussions, three stages covering diverse themes, and a range of exciting co-creation events, 5G Techritory 2023 is set to be an exceptional gathering of industry leaders and experts. We encourage you to explore the full agenda and build your personalized schedule to make the most of this enriching experience.
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to connect with like-minded professionals, gain fresh insights, and contribute to the advancement of the 5G ecosystem. We look forward to welcoming you in Riga or virtually on October 18-19, 2023, for what promises to be a remarkable event.